Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Lunchmaking Loonies



As I went to the kitchen pantry to reach for some peanut butter for a before-bed snack, I thought to myself, "I should make Eric's lunch for tomorrow." Since I've been hitting the sack around 9 p.m., my evening lunchmaking routine has been a bit interrupted. Making lunch for my husband everyday is a little June Cleaver, but it's the least I can do since I don't believe in ironing (or for that matter, feeling responsible for 100% of household chores.)

I looked in the fridge and thought, turkey or bologna? I went with bologna.
So I also grabbed a slice of cheese and the upside down squeezable mayo.
For those of you who don't know, I can't stand mayonnaise. I liked it when I was a little girl and would make cheese and mayo sandwiches at my grandmother's house all the time, but something turned my "mayo" switch off as a teenager and now I can't stand it....or so I thought.

I unwrapped the cheese, put the bologna on top, grabbed a slice of bread and squeezed the mayo out. Even though the squeezable bottle had a nice slit perfect for sandwich making, it wasn't enough to satisfy my Type A personality, so I had to grab a knife to spread the mayo perfectly on what was sure to be the best bologna and cheese sandwich my husband had ever had.

But then, something strange happened. As I was spreading the mayo, I started to long for the taste of it. I thought, this is crazy...you hate mayo. I topped off the sandwich with the newly mayonnaised piece of bread and just stared at the glorious sandwhich I'd just made. Then, it dawned on me--why not take a bite of this magnificent creation? I mean, I'd just spent the time making it and I knew Eric wouldn't mind one bite missing of his sandwich anyway. So, I did. And it was amazing. And then, I took another. Pretty soon, I found myself wanting to finish off the entire thing.

Then I realized, that if I ate the precious bologna, cheese and mayo sandwich, I'd have to make another one, something that would delay my date with my pillow. I also remembered why I went to the pantry in the first place--to eat a tablespoon of peanut butter to hopefully relieve my 4 am wake up calls feeling starved to death. I also remembered reading an important little tidbit about cold cuts carrying a nasty little thing called listeria and how dangerous it can be for pregnant women to consume. I sadly put the two-bite missing, listeria-laden sandwich in a ziplock bag. I put Eric's lunch in the fridge and looked unhappily at the peanut butter I was about to consume. It was no substitute for a bologna, cheese and mayo sandwich though.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL! Funny story! I'm sure Eric won't mind a few bites missing from his lunch!

-Andrew

Unknown said...

I hate mayo too but stragely that sounds good. Pregnancy is weird.

evbeff said...

Love it. LOVE IT.loveyoutwo.

Anonymous said...

I can't even believe you two would have packaged bologna in your frig to begin with! Stick with the Boar's head fresh deli meats with none of that junk! HA! Tyra, you need to try a tomato with light mayo sandwich..yummy during the summer with homegrown tomatoes from farmers markets!

Also, I might add your mayo story is a very well written!

Love,

Future grandmother jjh

Anonymous said...

I agree with Jennifer about the fresh tomato sandwich with mayo....a southern delight! Believe or not, I can't find good tomatoes in Florida. No such thing as a Grainger County tomato here. I'm looking forward to August 2...so excited!...:) :)