Monday, June 16, 2008

A great weekend



Thanks to everyone for that "Happy Daddy's Day" wishes. We had a great weekend, and it was so much fun to celebrate my 1st Father's Day as a Dad. We just hung out at home and relaxed most of the weekend, and watched a lot of golf on TV! It was always great to remember my Dad so fondly on Father's Day, and I think all dads have a special and unique connection with their sons or duaghters. Different than Moms, but special and unique in its own way. I now know what it means to look at my son and see myself and Tyra in him, and laugh at his personality and little quirks and feel so proud that he's our son.

I was really touched this weekend with all of the outpouring or love, stories, respect, and sadness for the passing of Tim Russert. Friends and colleagues commented almost in unison of his strong work ethic, preparation, and passion he had for life, but that what he loved most in his life was his wife and son, Luke. You could just feel the genuine sadness of the loss, but yet, the stories they shared of his life were so happy and touching. How neat that he made such a mark on so many people's lives, simply by being a good, caring, diligent, fair, and loving person---traits that were instilled in him by his dad, Big Russ! If you haven't already, take time to read Big Russ and Me and Wisdom of our Fathers, two great books that really express how much impact fathers have on the lives of their sons and daughters. This impact is immediate, tangible, and real.

The connection that I had with my dad is something that I will try to emulate every day between Noah, me, and our future children. How blessed we all are to trust in a God who loves us more than we can ever fathom----and it's because of His love for us, that we are able to love others. He is the source of all things pure, lovely, and holy---and fatherhood stems from these good things. I hope one day Noah can say the same things about me that I can say proudly of my dad, that Luke Russert can say of his dad, Tim, and that countless other sons/daughters can say of their dads!

Several of my closest and best friends have become dads this past year, and it's been such a blessing to share stories with each of them how life changes instantly, for the better. So, here's a toast to us Dads...let there never be a day when our sons and duaghters don't know how much we love them, their Moms, or our Heavenly Father through our thoughts, words, and actions.

No comments: